Oceans of Possibilities – Summer 2022
Resources for Summer Program Planning
Compiled by Beth Yates ~ Indiana State Library ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
- CSLP website
- CSLP Online Shop/Incentive Catalog (to order incentives, posters, etc.)
- Printable version of Incentive Catalog: 2022 Oceans of Possibilities Catalog [.pdf]
- ISL’s tutorial video: How to Access 2022 Online Manual for Indiana Libraries
- CSLP’s tutorial videos
- ISL’s Resources for Librarians Serving Youth website
- Reading Program Online Tracking Software options – compiled by the Colorado State Library
- CSLP’s Summer Symposium – watch recorded sessions on the importance of summer reading, publicity, community assets, and programming.
- Catch the Programming Wave session slides with links to program ideas
- CSLP’s Pinterest page (look for 2022 boards by age group)
- ISL’s Indiana Young Readers’ Center Program Idea Guide
- Indiana Early Literacy Firefly Award website – utilize the 2022 Firefly Guide to promote the nominated books during storytimes this summer (2022 guide will be published in spring 2022).
- National Ocean Service: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s website, includes educational resources and activities.
- Ocean Today is also part of the NOAA and contains videos about the ocean realm.
- National Marine Educators Association offers a pamphlet with essential ocean literacy information.
- Indiana State Parks/DNR: Information on the group programs they offer.
- Indiana Wildlife Federation: Lots of resources about native wildlife and habitats
- Discover Water: Kid friendly games and information about water and conservation.
- National Geographic: Information on oceanography
- StarNet STEM Activity Clearinghouse
- TeachingBooks – CSLP Book lists with resources for each title (accessible to Indiana residents only)
- Performers recommended by Indiana library staff
- List of Interactive Movie Experience Scripts compiled by Minerva Public Library, OH
Programming Groups On Facebook
- CSLP’s Official Summer Library Programming Group on Facebook
- CSLP’s Facebook Page
- Follow CSLP on InstaGram: cslpreads / On Twitter: @cslpreads
- ALA’s Programming Librarian Interest Group on Facebook
Ocean Related Topics To Get You Started
- Ocean life – General ocean plants and animals, endangered animals, conservation.
- History – Shipwrecks like the Titanic, explorers.
- Geography – Maps, bodies of water.
- Astronomy – Navigation/wayfinding, moon and tides.
- Beaches – Summer fun, beach parties, sand and sandcastles, swimming and safety, the sun.
- Geology/Paleontology – The fossil record shows Indiana was once underwater!
- Weather – The water cycle connects us to oceans even in landlocked Indiana.
- Jobs – Marine biologist, diving/SCUBA, ecologist, fishing, ship captain, lifeguard, geo scientist.
Summer Food Info
- USDA’s Summer Meals Toolkit
- Indiana’s Summer Food Service Program information site
- Feeding Your Community: Summer Meals at Libraries webinar from USDA and CSLP
- Further resources about Summer Food from CSLP
Stats and Outcomes
- How Do I Count This? Updated Guidelines for Programming Stats –
- Angela Fox, Public Library Services Consultant @ Indiana State Library explains new rules for counting and reporting programming statistics.
- California Library Association recorded webinar about outcomes-based Summer Reading Programs
- Recommended viewing for those who want to offer more impactful, intentional programming, with a focus on outcomes instead of stats.
Reaching New and Old Patrons / Community Asset Mapping
- Where Do We Go From Here? Reaching Young Patrons Post-Pandemic – webinar from Beth Yates, ISL and Christy Franzman, Hamilton East Public Library – about asset mapping.
- Community Asset Mapping handout with resources and examples.
- List of Indiana Library YouTube Channels – add your library’s channel to the list, check out what other libraries are doing, and/or follow each other if you want!
- Fonts used in this year’s program artwork – all are available for free on the internet:
- Early Literacy: IrishGrover
- Childrens: YES!
- Teen: Yumarorough
- Adult: Cmon Near