To prepare the library community’s future leaders for 21st-Century challenges, the Indiana State Library’s Professional Development Committee established the Indiana Library Leadership Academy.
At the end of this program, participants will: recognize and understand the relevance of core skills of leadership and its intersection with management, develop a network of library professionals; and implement an individual project applicable to their own library.
The next year-long cohort of the Indiana Library Leadership Academy will take place in 2023-24. Academy members will also meet 3 times virtually with their coaches and Indiana State Library staff between August 2023 – May 2024.
Important dates include:
- Applications are due: Friday, March 3, 2023
- Please email to Kara Cleveland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will be reviewed and participants chosen will be notified. Kickoff Webinar: July 2023
- The webinar will be recorded for those who are unable to attend at the scheduled time.
- The Academy will meet with the facilitator, the coaches and Indiana State Library staff 3 times virtually and in-person from August 2023 – May 2024. Individual projects should be completed by May 2024.
The Indiana Library Leadership Academy targets employees from public, academic, school, and special libraries within Indiana who have exhibited leadership potential, a successful work experience, and dedication to the profession. There is no requirement for an MLS/MLIS. A maximum of 25 participants will be selected.
Approximately six leaders from the Indiana library community will be invited to act as coaches. The coaches will serve as team facilitators and guides over the course of the year. They will engage in group discussions and work with the facilitator to ensure individualized professional results for each participant. Groups and coaches are required to meet at least 3 times, virtually or in person, after the facilitated sessions.
Leaders affect impactful change. Indiana Library Leadership Academy participants will be expected to implement an individual project over the course of the year. Projects should be related to improving/enhancing and/or strengthening some aspect of the participant’s library or community. Individual projects can be tailored to fit the needs of an individual library but, ideally, there would also be the potential for replication elsewhere.
During the application process, you will identify a possible problem, solution, and opportunity that could be addressed by such a project. If selected, you will have the opportunity to further develop your project plan with feedback from fellow participants and coaches. Throughout the year, coaches will schedule at least three times to check in and discuss your progress. The results of your project will be shared via the Indiana State Library’s website.
August 2023 – May 2024
Keynote speaker – TBD
Additional Indiana library leaders facilitate sessions throughout the following year.
The successful candidate must secure funding to cover the registration fee. The registration fee includes academy content/facilitation and support materials, lodging and food.
Apply by emailing application and supporting documents in either .DOC or .PDF format to Kara Cleveland at email@example.com.
Applications must contain:
- Completed application form, including:
- Contact information
- Responses to questions
- Project idea
- Contact information for two professional references
- Signed statement of commitment
- Resume – as additional attachment
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Indiana State Library’s Professional Development Committee, paying particular attention to the following criteria:
- Successful library employment experience
- Leadership potential
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in ongoing library career
- Interest in further professional involvement
Frequently Asked Questions
- May my library employer cover the cost of my INLLA tuition? YES. You may pay personally or your employer may pay the Indiana State Library the tuition. Accepted participants will receive an invoice from the Indiana State Library. We accept checks and money orders made payable in that amount to the Indiana State Library.
- I have special needs. Can you accommodate them? The Indiana State Library will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. If you require an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in this program, service, or activity of the Indiana State Library, please contact the agency’s ADA Coordinator, (Mgibson@spd.in.gov) or (317) 232-2679. Notice of a needed accommodation should be provided as soon as possible to allow time for the State Library to arrange for the accommodation; however, notice of a needed accommodation must be provided to one of the above contacts no later than 48 hours in advance.
If you have questions concerning the Indiana Library Leadership Academy, please contact: Kara Cleveland, firstname.lastname@example.org or anyone in our Professional Development Office.