To prepare the library community’s future leaders for 21st-Century challenges, the Indiana State Library’s Professional Development Committee established the Indiana Library Leadership Academy.
At the end of this program, participants will: recognize and understand the relevance of core skills of leadership and its intersection with management, develop a network of library professionals; and implement an individual project applicable to their own library.
The next year-long cohort of the Indiana Library Leadership Academy will begin with a retreat event in late summer of 2020.
Important dates include:
- Applications are due: Friday, February 28, 2020 by 4 p.m. Please email to Kara Cleveland, email@example.com.
- Applications will be reviewed by: March 31, 2020.
- Kickoff Webinar: Friday, July 17, 2020 at 10 a.m. EST
- The webinar will be recorded for those who are unable to attend at the scheduled time.
- Retreat: August 26-28, 2020
The Indiana Library Leadership Institute targets employees from public, academic, school, and special libraries within Indiana who have exhibited leadership potential, a successful work experience, and dedication to the profession. There is no requirement for an MLS/MLIS. A maximum of 24 participants will be selected.
Approximately six leaders from the Indiana library community will be invited to act as coaches. The coaches will serve as team facilitators and guides both during the retreat and over the course of the year. They will engage in group discussions and work with the facilitator to ensure individualized professional results for each participant. Groups and coaches are required to meet at least 3 times, virtually or in person, after the retreat.
Leaders affect impactful change. Indiana Library Leadership Academy participants will be expected to implement an individual project over the course of the year. Projects should be related to improving/enhancing and/or strengthening some aspect of the participant’s library or community. Individual projects can be tailored to fit the needs of an individual library but, ideally, there would also be the potential for replication elsewhere.
During the application process, you will identify a possible problem, solution, and opportunity that could be addressed by such a project. If selected, you will have the opportunity to further develop your project plan with feedback from fellow participants and coaches during the retreat. Throughout the year, coaches will schedule at least three times to check in and discuss your progress. The results of your project will be shared via the Indiana State Library’s website.
August 26-28, 2020
Participants are requested not to bring family members to the retreat and to remain on-site for all scheduled sessions, including evening events.
Indiana State Library
Keynote speaker – To be determined
Additional Indiana library leaders facilitate sessions throughout the retreat.
The successful candidate must secure funding to cover a registration fee of $350, plus transportation costs to the retreat location. The registration fee includes lodging for two nights, all meals, institute content/facilitation, and support materials.
Apply by emailing application and supporting documents in either .DOC or .PDF format to Kara Cleveland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must contain:
- Completed application form, including:
- Contact information
- Responses to questions
- Project idea
- Contact information for two professional references
- Signed statement of commitment
- Resume – as additional attachment
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Indiana State Library’s Professional Development Committee, paying particular attention to the following criteria:
- Successful library employment experience
- Leadership potential
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in ongoing library career
- Interest in further professional involvement
Frequently Asked Questions
- May my library employer cover the cost of my INLLA tuition? YES. You may pay personally or your employer may pay the Indiana State Library the $350 tuition. Accepted participants will receive an invoice from the Indiana State Library for the amount of $350. We accept checks and money orders made payable in that amount to the Indiana State Library.
- What are the travel requirements? The 2020 INLLA cohort will meet for a three day retreat. Your $350 tuition includes your lodging in a double room, as well as all meals. There is an expectation that participants will stay overnight each night in the hotel without additional family members.
- I have special housing or other needs. Can you accommodate them?The Indiana State Library will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. If you require an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in this program, service, or activity of the Indiana State Library, please contact the agency’s ADA Coordinator, Faye Brookins (FBrookins@spd.IN.gov or [(317) 233-1184]). Notice of a needed accommodation should be provided as soon as possible to allow time for the State Library to arrange for the accommodation; however, notice of a needed accommodation must be provided to one of the above contacts no later than 48 hours in advance.
If you have questions concerning the Indiana Library Leadership Academy, please contact: Kara Cleveland, email@example.com or anyone in our Professional Development Office.by